This is your Opportunity: Education USA Opportunity Funds Program (2017) Application Guide and Requirements.
This is your Opportunity: Education USA Opportunity Funds Program (2017) Application Guide and Requirements. This opportunity is brought to you by the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria. join the program below:
The U.S. Embassy is seeking academically qualified and highly motivated, low-income Nigerian students who are good candidates for financial assistance from U.S. colleges and universities but lack the financial resources to cover the up-front cost of obtaining admission.
Title: EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP)
There are many determined and talented, low-income students in Nigeria who only require financial resources and access to information to better their educational future. For the 11th year, the United States Embassy, Nigeria seeks to identify academically qualified and highly motivated, low-income students in Nigeria to join the EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP).
OFP’s mission is to assist talented and determined, low-income students who are good candidates for financial assistance from U.S. colleges and universities but lack the financial resources to cover the up-front cost of obtaining admission.
OFP works closely with students through regularly scheduled meetings and seminars to assist them throughout the application process to secure admission and scholarships to attend colleges and universities in the United States. OFP finances the cost of the application process, including registration fees for required standardized examinations and provides free membership to the U.S. EducationUSA Advising Center for its participants. OFP expects a sincere commitment from the students to give their energy and time to the program so that they may achieve their dreams of study in the United States.
Applicants are welcome from all the states in Nigeria. However, students must be able to reach our offices in Abuja or Lagos on a monthly basis during the program for full participation. Participants will work with our EducationUSA Advisors from June 2017 – August 2018 to try to secure places and financial assistance to begin study in the U.S. in August 2018.
Note: Entrance into this program is no guarantee of a Scholarship or Financial Assistance to study in the U.S
Requirements for EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program Application
- Undergraduate Applicants – Attach a copy of your WAEC “O” Level results (from WAEC website). Include Cambridge A’Level or IGSCE results if applicable or available.
- Graduate Applicants – Attach a copy of your Final year results and degree results (if available) First Class only (STEM majors preferred).
Letters of Recommendation:
- Undergraduate Applicants: Request a teacher or your school principal to complete a letter of recommendation form, attesting to your character, talent and skills. Please do not include a basic testimonial that does not talk about you as an individual.
- Graduate Applicants: Provide the details of a lecturer, professor, or Head of Department (HOD) that we can contact to find out more about you.
- Undergraduate Applicants: Send a scanned copy of your transcript from JS1 to SS3 including your mock and first term results, if possible.
- Graduate Applicants – Send a scanned copy of your transcripts that show a GPA of 4.5 or above on a 5.0 scale.
- Write two essays, one from Group A and one from Group B, each of about 250 – 300 words. The essay topics will be on the application form you receive. (Essay topics will be found on the form)
The selection of finalists for OFP is highly competitive, given limited funding. We look for applicants with:
- Strong academic record/ transcript
- Robust participation in extracurricular activities
- Involvement in leadership roles
- Excellent community service participation
- Financial Need
- Note: Undergraduate Applicants – If WAEC results are not available; the student must be currently in SS3. If WAEC results are available, they must be from May/June WAEC.
- Students who have already started a University education are NOT eligible to apply.
Application Closing Date for EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program
16th June, 2017.
How to Apply for EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program
Interested and qualified candidates should send an email to: AbujaEducationusa@state.gov
requesting an application form which is in PDF format. Fill out the document and send back as an attachment to our email.Note
- Please send all documents as attachments with proper titles e.g. “Femi King Transcript”, “Femi King WAEC” etc
- Send a scanned copy of any relevant supplementary certificates of achievement should also be sent.