History of Bayero University | How University of Bayero University, Kano (BUK) come into existences in Nigeria, the history and Establishment of the institution., Fact you need to know about (BUK), past and Current Vice-Chancellor, board members and academic policy.
The Bayero University Kano (BUK) is a university situated in Kano, Kano State, Nigeria. It was founded in 1977, when it was renamed from Bayero University College and upgraded from university college to university.
Bayero University initially bore the name Ahmadu Bello College, the college was named after Premier of Northern Nigeria, Ahmadu Bello. It was founded in January 1960 by the Northern Nigeria Ministry of Education headed by Isa Kaita to prepare senior secondary certificate holders for G.C.E. and A-level in Arabic, Hausa, Islamic History, Islamic studies and English Literature. Upon the establishment of Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Kaduna State, Ahmadu Bello College was renamed to Abdullahi Bayero College, after Abdullahi Bayero, Emir of Kano and soon thereafter it became a faculty of the new university.
Initially located on the grounds of the School of Arabic Studies near the palace of the Emir, the college moved to a location at the old Kano Airport Hotel, where it remained until March 1968, when it moved to Western Kano to make way for a military hospital (the Nigerian Civil War having started the previous year). The first students began their studies in February 1964, and they graduated in July 1966.
In 1975, the college became a university college, and was renamed Bayero University College, with Mahmud Tukur as principal. In 1977, the status was again changed, to that of university, and Bayero University became the name; Tukur became Vice-Chancellor. In 1980 the university ceased functioning as a faculty of its Zaria counterpart.
It has Faculties of Allied Health Sciences, Agriculture, Arts and Islamic Studies , Clinical Sciences, Education, Engineering, Law, Science, Earth and Environmental Studies, Pharmacy, Social, Management Science and the recent Faculty of Computer Science & Information Technology. Research Centers include: Center for Advanced medical research, center for infectious diseases, center for Gender Studies, Center for Islamic Studies, Center for Dryland Agriculture, Center for Biotechnology Research, Center for Renewable Energy and Center for the Study of Nigerian Languages among others. The University also houses the International Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance (IIIBF), the only one in the country. It is located approximately 12.8 kilometers (roughly 8 miles) from the city along the Kano-Gwarzo Road.
SAS Principal (and director of college section)
- Aliyu Abubakar Dr, Aliyu Abubakar was born in Nafada in the present Gombe State in the year 1909. He attended University of London where he studied a bachelor of art degree in English language. After serving as a principal at the school of Arabic studies Kano, he also served as the first commissioner of Education in Bauchi State after its creation in 1976. He died in November 1987.
Provost of Abdullahi Bayero College
- Abdalla Eltayeb (1964-1966)
- Hamidu Alkali (September 1966-November 1969)
- S. A. S. Galadanchi (1969-1975)
Principal of Bayero University College
- Mahmud Tukur (September 1975 – 1977)
- Mahmud Tukur (1977-October 1977)
- J. O. C. Ezeilo (1978-1979)
- Ibrahim H. Umar (1979-1986)
- Dandatti Abdulkadir (1986 – 1990)
- M. Sani Zakraddeen1991-1995
- Bello Bako Dambatta (1995-1999)
- Musa Abdullahi (August 1999 – 2005)
- Attahiru Muhammad Jega (September 2005 – 2010)
- Abubakar Adamu Rasheed (June 2010 to 17 August 2015)
- Muhammad Yahuza Bello (Tuesday 18 August 2015 to date)
- Notable Faculty
- Stewart Brown
- Reginald Cline-Cole
- Abdulrazak Gurnah
- Abdalla Uba Adamu
- Notable Alumni
- Zaynab Alkali, renown author
- Mansur Dan Ali, Minister of Defence
- Farouk Lawan, politician
- Moses Ochonu, historian, author
- Yushau Shuaib, author
- Ahmad Sani Yerima, former Governor, Zamfara State
- Ibrahim Sheme, novelist, journalist, publisher
- Farooq Kperogi, author, columnist, journalism professor at Kennesaw State University
- Jamila Tangaza, journalist, former head, BBC Hausa
- Holders of honorary degrees
- Abdullahi Bayero
- Murtala Mohammed
- Yusuf Maitama Sule
- Yayale Ahmed
- Nelson Mandela
- Muammar Gaddafi
- Theophilus Danjuma
- BUK Cut Off Marks.
- BUK School Fees.
- BUK List of Courses Offered
- JAMB brochure (check the requirements for each programme)
Check List of Schools Whose Post UTME Form Are Out & Departmental Cut-off Marks In various Institution We Appreciate your opinion and we look forward to it. Hence, if you need us to feed you with more updated information at the right time about The History of Institution in Nigeria, kindly provide us your phone number and email Address in the comment box below. See Universities that Released Postgraduate Forms & Accredited Undergraduate courses
See: JAMB Post-UTME Cut off Marks. Meanwhile, do not forget Hot School News will be there for you all through the journey. So ensure you visit regularly for updates regarding the Admission exercise. Check How To Gain Admission Into Nigerian Institution & List of School to Get Post UTME Past Questions and Solution
Share this information with your friends. Also feel free to ask any questions pertaining to this Page Don’t forget to like us on Facebook Page