History of UNIUYO | How University of Uyo also known as (UNIUYO) come into existences in Nigeria, the history and Establishment of the institution., Fact you need to know about UNIUYO, past and Current Vice-Chancellor, board members and academic policy.
The University of Uyo (UNIUYO) is located in Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
The university was formerly known as the University of Cross River State (UNICROSS). On October 1, 1991 the federal government of Nigeria established it as a federal university and the name was changed to the University of Uyo. The university inherited students, staff, academic programmes and the entire facilities of the erstwhile University of Cross River State established by Cross River State in 1983. Academic activities commenced during the 1991/92 academic session. UNIUYO has about 12 faculties,the postgraduate school and the school of continuing Education.
The Vice-Chancellor is Professor Enefiok Essien. In 2015 the Emir of Hadejia, Adamu Maje was appointed chancellor.
The University of Uyo was founded in 1991 by the Federal Government of Nigeria. At the time, there existed in Uyo the University of Cross River State which was established in 1981 by the then Cross River State Government.
In 1987 Akwa Ibom State with headquarters at Uyo was created out of the Cross River State and from that time up to the time of Federal Government take-over in 1991, the University was jointly owned by Akwa Ibom and Cross River State Governments.
When first proposed by the President, and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, the University was to be a Federal University of Technology (FUT) and the Campus of the University of Cross River State at Uyo was to be the nucleus of the proposed University.
Following representations and series of implementation strategy meetings, it was finally resolved by a letter dated 24th September 1991 that “the Federal Government has decided that University of Cross Rivers State should be converted into a Conventional University instead of a FUT”. Academic activities commenced in 1991/92 session.
What is today called the University of Uyo has a humble but unique historical metamorphosis. The campus where the University of Uyo is situated started in the 1930’s as a practising school and became a Teacher Training College in the 1940’s. It was upgraded to Advanced Teachers’ Training College in the 1960’s.
In 1975, it became a College of Education and was converted to the University of Cross River State (UNICROSS) in 1983.
In 1991, the erstwhile University of Cross River State assumed a new status and nomenclature called the University of Uyo, a Federal University. It is a citadel of learning, research and community development.
The University is located in the heart of Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Uyo is accessible by road and there are two International Airport within 100km radius – the Margaret Ekpo International Airport, Calabar, Cross River State and the Ibom International Airport in Uyo,Akwa Ibom State.
The University runs a multi-campus system namely: the Main Campus, the Town Campus and Annex Campus, the College of Health Sciences Campus and the Ime Umanah Campus.
Though a third generation University in Nigeria, the University of Uyo is competing favourably with most first generation Universities in Nigeria and has recorded various strides.
To be a centre of academic excellence by utilizing
the available human and technological resources
for teaching, research, community service
and sustainable development.
To diligently pursue scholarship and deploy its output for human capacity development
and economic growth in the society,with active participation in Information and Communication Technology,
sensitivity to Nigeria’s rich cultural heritage and responsiveness to global environmental changes.
- ⚫ Faith in God,
- ⚫ Academics Excellence in Teaching and Research,
- ⚫ Institutional Autonomy,
- ⚫ Academic Freedom,
- ⚫ Peer and Professional Review,
- ⚫ Qualitative Service Delivery,
- ⚫ Strong Work Ethics,
- ⚫ Equal Opportunity,
- ⚫ Creativity and Innovation,
- ⚫ Integrity,
- ⚫ Transparency and Accountability,
- ⚫ Peace and Orderliness.
- 1. Provision of higher educational opportunities for the people of Nigeria as well as others who seek and can attain self-fulfillment through higher education and learning.
- 2. Promotion and enhancement of the talents and skills in all fields of human endeavour particularly those relating to science, technology, industry, agriculture and the humanities.
- 3. Equipping its students with the knowledge and skills Necessary for them to be able to participate at all levels, in every aspect of the life of the nation including technological, political, social, economic and cultural; and provision of education for responsible and responsive leadership.
- 4. Promoting the development of the nation in all aspects and contributing to national integration, and development and self-reliance.
- 5. Cooperating with and assisting various departments of government in their programmes for the development of’ the nation.
- 6. Promoting research as service to society in finding solutions to its problems, and also as a means of enhancing intellectual development and confidence.
- 7. Enhancing excellence in teaching, learning and public Services.
- 1. To foster the advancement of learning and to hold out to all persons without distinction of race, sex or political conviction, the opportunity of acquiring higher and liberal education.
- 2. To provide course of instruction and other faculties for the pursuit of learning in all its branches, and to make those facilities available on proper terms to such persons as are equipped to benefit from them.
- 3. To promote scholarship and conduct research in all fields of learning and human endeavaour.
- 4. To relate its activities to the social and economic needs of the people of Nigeria.
- 5. To undertake any other activities appropriate for a University of the highest standard
UNIUYO is in the heart of Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom, Nigeria’s second largest oil-producing state. Uyo is easily accessible by road,though there is an international airport for external use(s). It operates from four campuses:
- The Permanent Site/Main Campus which accommodates Parts of Central Administration, Faculties of Engineering and Natural and Applied Sciences, International Centre for Energy and Environmental Sustainability Research (ICEESR), and the Postgraduate School
- The Town Campus which accommodates Faculties of Arts, Education, Social Sciences, Pharmacy
- The Annex Campus, home for the Faculties of Agriculture, Business Administration, Law, Environmental Studies and General Studies
- The Ime Umana Campus, Ediene Abak, which accommodates the Pre-Degree, JUPEB and other special courses.
The Permanent Site/Main Campus of the university along Nwaniba Road, Uyo is about 4.5 km from the city centre and covers an area of about 1,443 hectares. The university of Uyo has 12 faculty plus the school of continuing education. the various faculties are as follows: 1. Faculty of Agriculture. 2. Faculty of Arts. 3. Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences. 4. Faculty of Business Administration. 5. Faculty of Clinical Sciences. 6. Faculty of education. 7. Faculty of Engineering. 8. Faculty of Environmental studies. 9. Faculty of Law. 10. Faculty of Science. 11. Faculty of Social Sciences 12. Faculty of Pharmacy. 13. School of Continuing Education. Check here for more List of Courses.
The Library has an active collection of 46,745 volumes and handles about 409,977 lending and reference inquiries annually. Current journals stand at 271 representing all disciplinary interests. The library is equipped with modern computers and has a reading space of 970.51 metres with seating capacity for 698.
There are four main divisions: Acquisition, Lending, Processing, and Research. The Research Division comprises Reference, Serials, Special Collections and Government Collections. The Special Collection comprises Nyong Essien, Africana and Government Collection. Acquisition and Processing selects and orders library materials and organizes them for effective use. The Public Service Division deals directly with readers, regulates the use of library materials, and handles reference questions. The office of university librarian provides data for planning, budgeting, control and coordination of the library.
The University Health Centre provides free health services to students, staff and staff family members. It is open to the public. Routine services provided include:
- Medical certification
- Ante-natal care
- Family planning
- General surgery
- Medical and laboratory services
- Out-patient and in-patient care
- Environmental and preventive health services
The fourth Vice-Chancellor was Professor Comfort Ekpo who was also the first woman Vice-Chancellor. In December 2015 she wrote to the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamuto ask that the appointment of her successor, Enefiok Essien, should be delayed. This was due to the accusation of sexual assault and forgery that were being discussed in the press. Professor Enefiok Essien was confirmed as the Vice-Chancellor in January 2016 and has remained in that capacity since then. Professor Enefiok Essien, a commercial lawyer by profession has served as a two time dean in the faculty of Law. He was also the chairman council of Deans.
Below are a list of affiliate institutions of the University of Uyo, approved by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
- St. Joseph Major Seminary, Ikot Ekpene
- Collage of Education Afaha Nsit
- Assemblies of God Divinity School, Old Umuahia
- The Apostolic Church Theological Seminary, Amumara
- The Samuel Bill Theological College, Abak
- Osun State College Of Education, Ila-Orangun (Regular)
- UNIUYO Post UTME Form
- UNIUYO Cut Off Marks.
- UNIUYO School Fees.
- UNIUYO List of Courses
- JAMB brochure (check the requirements for each programme)
Check List of Schools Whose Post UTME Form Are Out & Departmental Cut-off Marks In various Institution We Appreciate your opinion and we look forward to it. Hence, if you need us to feed you with more updated information at the right time about The History of Institution in Nigeria, kindly provide us your phone number and email Address in the comment box below. See Universities that Released Postgraduate Forms & Accredited Undergraduate courses
See: JAMB Post-UTME Cut off Marks. Meanwhile, do not forget Hot School News will be there for you all through the journey. So ensure you visit regularly for updates regarding the Admission exercise. Check How To Gain Admission Into Nigerian Institution & List of School to Get Post UTME Past Questions and Solution
Share this information with your friends. Also feel free to ask any questions pertaining to this Page Don’t forget to like us on Facebook Page